A 19-year-old girl had a baby and experienced post partum anaemia (anaemia after having a baby) and was brought to the emergency department. She was HIV positive.
Upon talking with her she disclosed that, She had been infected with the HIV disease at birth since both parents were HIV positive. She has lived with the condition all her life and she has been taking her drugs.
Asking about the father of the baby, she revealed that he did not know her HIV status. I asked why she wouldn’t inform him, but chose to have unprotected sex with the man and subsequently have a baby with him. But she refused to say anything and kept quite.
Now here’s the kicker. ..
1. There are more young people living with HIV and other STD than you may think.
2. Unprotected sex is costly so use a condom. It is way cheaper!
3. HIV doesn’t have a look anymore. People living with HIV look healthy and strong just like others without the condition. So stop looking out for unhealthy and emaciated individuals. You will make a mistake.
4. Stick to one partner and be committed to each other. That’s the only way to protect yourselves.
5. Always undergo a screening test of HIV before engaging in unprotected sex in a relationship. Love has everything to do with it. Love protects so protect each other.
HIV is very real so live your life with healthy sexual practices.