After a dog bite, most people do not know the right things to do which can be dangerous if the dog has rabies. But by following these simple steps, you can save your life and that of your loved ones after a dog bite.
First aid after a dog bite
- WASH WASH WASH: Wash the affected area under running water with soap. Wash thoroughly for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- You can also wash with povidine iodine.
- Go to the hospital for the anti rabies post exposure prophylaxis (PEP).
- If you are given tetanus, insist on the anti-rabies PEP. TETANUS DOES NOT TREAT/CURE RABIES!
Spread the word
Share with someone and save a life.
After a dog bite, most people do not know what to do. But knowing and doing the right thing after a dog bite can really be life saving for you. After you experience a dog bite, follow these steps to greatly reduce your risk of getting infected with rabies.
1. Wash the affected area with soap under running water for 10 minutes. This is according to the a world health organisation. When there is no tap, get a bowl of water and let someone pour on you while you wash with the soap.
2. Wash the area with 70% alcohol /ethanol, or you can use povidine iodine. (Do not apply anything else on it. )
3. Immediately seek care in a health facility.
Follow these 3 steps and protect yourself.